Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Gang Oppression

My area of study is gangs. Gangs can be defined as a group of people who can use colors or territories to affiliate themselves to a different gang or group. These different groups of people don't get along and even if they wanted too they can't get along. Many of us have a different understanding of gangs but this is mine. As you can see we are surrounded by alot of oppression.
The gangs in Oakland like Nortenos , Border brothers , and surenos can become eachother's oppressors. For example , a Border brother might try to harm a sureno or norteno and that's how they become eachother's oppresors. Most of the time they oppress one another by jumping eachother and sadly their oppression can go to knew extremes such as killing and causing their victim's death. Gangsters oppress eachother but in my opinion I think this opression really has to end.
Gang oppression doesn't just oppress people in a gang it also oppresses youngsters out in the streets since some of them might feel preassured to join a gang too. It also affects people in our communnity because they don't feel free to wear whatever color they want since if you wear red or blue or black you'll be classified as one of their members and that can put your life in danger. As you can see everyone in our communninty might feel oppressed.
In the other hand the system can oppress gangsters. One example is that the police might arrest a gang banger and once they let them go the police takes them and leaves them in their rival's territory. This isn't fair because that's putting their life in danger. I can realte to this because my brother's friend got arrested and the police took him and left him in the rival's territorry and he got jumped. I don't agree with the police doing this because if the person who got arrested dies it's  the police's fault.
I can connect to all this gang oppression because me personally I feel oppressed by gangs. I feel oppressed by gangs because living in a place with alot of gang activity can really mess you up unless you stay focused on your goals and stay away from the negative things in the communitty. I also feel oppressed because as other teenagers here I also don't feel free to wear certain colors due to gangs. Hopefully gang oppression comes to an end very soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment